What is your secret sin? What gnaws at your guilty conscience when you’re singing praise songs or counseling others?
Recently, I confessed a particular sin to some friends. Since I thought that their opinion of me would change, I was ashamed and embarrassed to share it with them. Yet, I had to because the guilt was eating at me.
Rather than feeling condemnation or shame, however, I felt joy and happiness. The next morning, I felt free and had messages of encouragement from my friends. No, I’m not perfect, but I am forgiven and being forgiven is the Christian’s happiest state.
- Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered. Blessed are those whose sin the LORD does not count against them … .
Consequences | Clemency :: Care :: Counsel
We don’t become happy Christians by deceiving ourselves that we’re not sinful or by attempting to hide our sin from God. Rather, we become happy Christians by acknowledging and confessing our sin because, by repenting, we receive God’s tripartite blessing of clemency, care and counsel.
First, the confessing Christian experiences God’s clemency.
- When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy on me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity … And you forgave the guilt of my sin. 
Second, the confessing Christian experiences God’s care.
- You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. 
Third, the confessing Christian receives God’s counsel.
- I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you. 
Causes | Confession :: Contriteness
Yet, clemency, care and counsel are not given to mules or horses, i.e., the unrepentant and stubborn.
- Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you. 
They are given to the contrite and confessing spirit.
- Therefore let all the faithful pray to you while you may be found; surely the rising of the mighty waters will not reach them. 
Do you want to receive the Lord’s clemency, care and counsel? If so, what do you need to confess with a contrite spirit?
 Psalm 32:1-2 TNIV |  vv. 1-5 TNIV |  v. 7 TNIV |  v. 8 TNIV |  v. 9 TNIV |  v. 6 TNIV